Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A week without meat

Sadly I failed going a week without meat.  I got sick and a friend made me some stew.  Once I am over this cold I plan on trying it again.  I did have a difficult time eating the stew and I had to try hard not to think about the meat I was eating.  It did taste good though, so that made eating it a lot easier.  

I have never gone on a diet and have always been able to eat pretty much what ever I want without gaining any weight.  So after I tried not eating meat and was not even able to make it one week, I now understand why so many people are not able to stick to a diet.  It's tough!  I do try and eat pretty healthy, though.  

I am a little overwhelmed with how much food to eat on a vegetarian diet.  If you stick to the plan you will not go hungry.  Here is the Vegetarian Food Pyramid Guidelines.

Fats, Oils, Sweets
Use sparingly
Milk, Yogurt, Cheese
2-3 servings daily
Beans, Nuts, Seeds, Eggs, Meat Substitutes
2-3 servings daily
Vegetables
3-5 servings daily
Fruits
2-4 servings daily
Bread, Rice, Cereal, Pasta
6-11 servings daily

As you can see, that is a lot of food!  A serving of fruits and vegetables is typically what can fit in your hand or a cup size.  

In the book, Gimme Five, by Nicola Graimes, which I bought in Ireland last year, it talks a lot about the importance of eating at least five servings of fruits and vegetables per day.  We are to strive to eat at least one serving from each color group - red, orange, yellow, green, and purple.  I have been diligently trying to feed my son 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day but it sometimes can be difficult.  After he ate his first cracker in childcare during my MOPS group, he has become somewhat obsessed with crackers.  If he sees them, he wants them.  So I tend to feed him in courses, the food I think he is least likely to want he gets first.  It seems to work pretty well.

Sadly, I have not been eating my five servings of fruits and vegetables.  I get caught up in making sure my son does but neglect my own nutrition.  So here is my new plan, I am going to try and eat five servings of fruits and vegetables per day.  I will continue to not eat as much meat and hopefully eventually be able to give it up completely.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...