Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Appointment with the Perinatologist

Several days after I found out I had two genetic disorders, I found out I have switched chromosomes. Chromosomes 6 and 10 are switched. My doctor's nurse told me this can cause miscarriages. I have been too depressed to write about this and so have avoiding blogging and trying not to think about it. However, I think it's important to share this information. When I was researching some of my issues, I didn't find many answers.

I went to see a perinatologist last week and she said people with switched chromosomes like mine have a 50% chance of losing every pregnancy. She said I could go on and have 7 healthy babies or I could end up having 7 more miscarriages. This was difficult to hear. I always wanted to have 3-4 kids and now I may not be able to have anymore. Blue Rock is truly a gift from God and I am so thankful for him. The question Collin and I have discussed is how many miscarriages can we handle? How many more times do we try to hopefully have another healthy child? And if we continue trying and continue to have more miscarriages what effect is that going to have on us emotionally? Or do we count our blessings to God for our son and be grateful for having one? For now I can tell you, we are extremely grateful for Blue Rock and I feel so blessed to have had him without any major problems.

This is how my doctor is treating me for my other issues. Besides the switched chromosomes, I have Hashimotos Disease (thyroid disorder).  Like the internal medicine doctor in Germany said, she said I need to see an endocrinologist every 6 months to a year.  If I do get pregnant again they will need to closely monitor my thyroid levels.

Regarding the genetic disorders.  I have MTHFR which for the most part means I cannot absorb folic acid as well as others.  About 1 in 10 people from European descent have this. She prescribed me a prescription prenatal vitamin with higher levels of folic acid and folic acid supplements to take everyday. 

I have Prothrombin Gene Mutation which is a blood clotting disorder.  For the rest of my life I need to take a Baby Aspirin once a day. If pregnant we will discuss different injections such as Lovenox.  The thought of giving myself a shot everyday is not appealing, yikes!

My progesterone levels are low.  I have a prescription for progesterone pills.  If I get pregnant again, I will need to start taking one of those after getting a positive pregnancy test.

Treating each of these other issues will help me carry a healthy baby if my chromosome doesn't interfere.  If I can make it past week 9 with a healthy heart beat, my doctor said there is a great chance that I will have a healthy baby and carry to term.  My disorders cause early miscarriages. It's never easy no matter when you have a miscarriage but at least there's some hope if I get further in a pregnancy that the baby will make it.

I've had a few struggles with all of this.  I've questioned God and why he allows certain people to have a lot of babies so easily, especially people who don't want a child or were not planning on having one.  But then those of us who would love a baby struggle.  I don't know why it's like this except that God has a plan and it's better than mine.  To help this process I've been looking at all the positives of having only one child.  There are many, just like there are many positives to having more than one.  We've also talked about adopting and/or fostering.  I don't want to bring a foster child into my home until Blue Rock is a little older.  We've had so many huge changes this year and we're still adjusting to things.  But those are possibilities.  And even if we only have one child, we are truly blessed.  I believe God allows us to go through things to build us and mold us and make us stronger. Even though somethings I would rather not go through, I know he's watching over me and is there.

I am so glad to be back in America. It is so quick to get a doctor's appointment and see someone. Also seeing doctors who speak English has been awesome! The doctors in Germany mostly spoke English but a lot of times their staff did not. Also, some things were harder for them to explain. My OB doctor, for example, would never give me results over the phone. She said it was easier in person because of the language barrier. My parents have been a great help. They have been able to watch Blue Rock while I go to my appointments. In Germany, Blue Rock always went with me, which if you have small children, you know how difficult it can be to take your child with you to the doctor. Overall it's just good to be home.


1 comment:

  1. Marisa, I am so sorry you're going through this. We're praying for you. Hang in there. You're a wonderful mom and friend.

    God bless,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...