Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How to make Walnut Milk

Walnut Milk
Walnuts are one of the 5 healthiest nuts you can eat according to Shape Magazine.  Studies show that people who consume walnuts have better cognitive function and healthier hearts.  Walnuts have the highest amount of omega-3 fatty acids, contain the antioxidant ellagic acid (which supports the immune system), and contain 16 disease-fighting polyphenols.

Given the nutritional benefits of walnuts, I decided to try and make Walnut Milk.  My family stopped drinking cow's milk about a year ago when Blue Rock struggled with anemia and his doctor said cow's milk can contribute to anemia in some people.  My husband is lactose intolerant so he never drank cow's milk and I figured I would try and give up my love of cow's milk too.  This was rather difficult but I can proudly say I've done it.  Typically we buy Almond Milk and I plan on making my own Almond Milk, eventually, but first I wanted to give Walnut Milk a try because walnuts are so healthy!

Easy Walnut Milk Recipe

4 cups of water (5 if you want it thinner)
1 cup of walnuts
4-6 dates (more or less depending on desired sweetness, or you can use an alternative sweeter)
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Put everything in a blender and blend away! I have a Vitamix and it blended everything nicely. If your blender doesn't blend it as fine, put it through a strainer or milk bag. I put my first batch through a strainer since I had never made nut milk and everything went through. You can also add vanilla for taste. Pour into a glass container and store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.  It was delicious and goes great on cereal! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...