Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blueberry Pie Recipe

Organic Blueberry Pie
Now that Autumn is upon us, I have been in the mood to bake.  I love Blueberries and have always wanted to try Blueberry Pie.  Given the health benefits of blueberries, I figured a blueberry pie would be healthier than say a chocolate pie...just don't talk about the sugar in it.  Anyway, I have to say that Blueberry Pie is delicious!  Another benefit to making pie yourself is you know exactly what is in the pie and you can use all organic ingredients if you want.

I got this recipe from the book Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer.  The beauty of this pie recipe is you can freeze it, if you want.  I, however, wanted to make and eat it right away.  The the book the pie recipe is called Mom's Blueberry Pie.  I made my own pie crust and even though this pie recipe does not call for a crust on top of the pie, I went ahead and sprinkled the other pie shell on top of the pie because my husband loves pie crust.  So you can make it with or without a top pie shell.  Here's my pie crust recipe.  If you prefer to do the top layer the traditional way then roll the pie crust and cut in strips.  I found sprinkling the pie crust on top achieves the same purpose and saves time.

Mom's Blueberry Pie

4 cups blueberries (I used organic frozen blueberries that I bought at Costco)
2 heaping Tablespoons of flour
1 cup sugar (I used about 3/4 cup)
1 Tablespoon butter
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice (I didn't have any lemons so I left this out and it turned out great)

Directions

Rinse berries in colander.  Place berries in saucepan with flour, sugar, butter, and lemon juice, and bring just to boiling point.  Pour in unbaked pie shell.  If you want to freeze it, use foil and plastic wrap to freeze.

If cooking day of, preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake 40-50 minutes or until filling bubbles.

If baking from frozen state, preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake 40-50 minutes.

Hint: If pie crust is getting too brown before filling is done, cover lightly with foil and continue baking.

Make your pie crust first

Heat and stir the filling

If you don't want a top crust, bake or freeze just like this

If you want a top crust, add it here

Yummy Blueberry Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...