Sunday, September 30, 2012

Quick and Easy Pie Crust Recipe

Tasty Pie Crust
I finally made my own pie crust and I have to say it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  Not to mention the taste was 10 times better than the frozen pie shells I usually use.  This took me only about 5 minutes to make and I knew exactly what was in my pie shell. 

Many pie crust recipes use lard, some oil, but I wanted one with butter.  I don't have any lard and didn't want to go to the store for one thing.  I found a recipe that uses butter here.  I used unsalted Simple Truth Organic butter that I bought at Kroger's.  Although the original recipe calls for Land O' Lakes butter, I don't think it really matters what kind of butter you use.

Butter Pie Crust Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cold 
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
 
Directions

Combine flour and salt in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I used a knife and flaked it off the stick.  Stir in enough water with fork just until flour is moistened.

Divide dough in half; shape each half into ball. Flatten slightly. Wrap 1 ball in plastic food wrap; refrigerate.

For 1-crust pie, roll out 1 ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into 9-inch pie pan; unfold dough, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan. Crimp or flute edge. Fill and bake according to pie recipe directions.

For 2-crust pie, roll out remaining ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold dough into quarters. Place dough over filling; unfold. Trim, seal and crimp or flute edge. Cut 5 or 6 large slits in crust. Bake according to pie recipe directions.

For baked unfilled pie shell, prepare dough as directed above for 1-crust pie. Prick crust all over with fork before baking. Bake at 475°F. for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. 
 
*Rolling the dough Tip
Place dough between two pieces of wax paper.  Roll dough with rolling pin over the wax paper.  This made rolling and clean up so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...